|Caribou Municipal Building
25 High St
Caribou, Maine 04736
|Phone: (207) 493-4234
Fax: (207) 376-0178
|Applicants||Section 8 Participants||Specialty Programs||Landlords||Community Resources||About Us||
Home>Applicants>Apply for Section 8 Assistance
APPLY FOR SECTION 8 ASSISTANCE
The Waiting List is OPEN
Caribou Housing Authority processes several new applications every year. There are several more applicants than there are available Vouchers – so the waiting list can be very long.
CHA does not provide immediate housing assistance, nor does it provide short-term housing assistance.
Step 1: Complete and Submit Pre-Application
Applications for the Section 8 Program can be acquired one of three ways:
- Pick Up: Applicants can pick up an application at the Caribou Housing Authority, and turned into the Caribou Housing Authority office.
- Print Off: Application can be downloaded and printed off, and turned into the Caribou Housing Authority office.
- On-Line: Apply on-line at Maine Centralized Section 8/HCV Waiting List
Step 2: Maine Centralized Section 8/HCV Waiting List
After the Caribou Housing Authority receives your paper Pre-Application, your application will be put on the combined Section 8 waiting list with the the other Housing Authority’s in the State of Maine (aka “Maine Centralized Section 8/HCV Waiting List”). Once your application has been put on the Maine Centralized Waiting List, you are automatically placed on the list and available for selection by all Maine Housing Authorities.
- You DO NOT need to apply more than once.
For more information on the Maine Centralized Section 8/HCV Waiting List, such as:
- Learn more about Section 8 and Centralized Waiting List
- View the list of participating Housing Authorities
- Download a Pre-Application or Change Form
- View the list of local preference and definitions
- Get answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- Register for Access to the Applicant Portal
Once your application has been placed on the Maine Centralized Waiting List, you will receive an Application Receipt stating that your application has been placed on the list and your unique applicant ID number.
Checking the Status of Your Application
Applicants may check their application status by creating an account through the Maine Centralized Section 8/HCV Waiting List.
If you contact the Caribou Housing Authority, or any other Housing Authority, we are unable to tell you where you are the list, what number you are, nor how long the wait will be. All we can tell you is that you are or are not on the list.
UPDATING YOUR APPLICATION
You are required to inform Caribou Housing Authority of any change that may affect the status of your application. Click here for more information.