The Most Northeastern City in the United States.

Terminating a Lease

Caribou Municipal Building
25 High St
Caribou, Maine 04736
Lisa Plourde, Executive Director
Sue Ouellette, FSS/Homeownership
Phone: (207) 493-4234
Fax: (207) 376-0178


About Us

General Information

Applicant Information

Participant Information

Landlord Information

Landlord Benefits

Landlord Responsibilities

Selecting a Section 8 Family as a Tenant

Housing Inspections

Security Deposits

HAP Contract & Lease

HAP Payments & Direct Deposit

Requesting a Rent Increase and/or Utility Change

Terminating a Lease

 Change in Landlord/Management Information

Non-Discrimination and Accessibility for Persons with Disability

Violence Against Women Act

Program Forms

Reasonable Accommodation

Questions & Answers

Community Resources


Follow the Caribou Housing Agency on Facebook


Equal Housing Opportunity

If there are problems with a Section 8 tenant, as with any non-subsidized tenant, the landlord can take any action, up to and including eviction, in accordance with the law and the terms of the lease. The landlord can leave the program at the end of any lease term.   Although the HCV program does not address termination notices to the tenant under normal circumstance; the program does require certain procedures to be followed if foreclosure is involved (see Section 703 of the Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act).  State law requires up to 90 days notice under certain circumstances.

To ensure compliance with state and federal tenant/landlord laws, please consult an attorney or apartment association before taking action, and send copies of any notices or lease violations to the Housing Agency.