The Most Northeastern City in the United States.

How to Submit the Request for Tenancy Approval

Caribou Municipal Building
25 High St
Caribou, Maine 04736
Lisa Plourde, Executive Director
Sue Ouellette, FSS/Homeownership
Phone: (207) 493-4234
Fax: (207) 376-0178


About Us

General Information

Applicant Information

New Voucher Holder Information

 Voucher Briefing

Obligations of the Family

Voucher Term & Suspensions

How to Lease a Unit

Ways to Locate a Unit

Things to Consider When Choosing a Unit 

Renting from a Relative

Subsidy Standards

Security Deposit Information

Providing Tenant Information to Landlords

How to Submit Your Request for Tenancy Approval

Rent Reasonableness

40% Affordability Process

Housing Inspections

HAP Contract & Lease


Hearings & Appeals

Participant Information

Landlord Information
Program Forms

Reasonable Accommodation

Report Fraud

Questions & Answers

Community Resources


 Follow the Caribou Housing Agency on Facebook


Equal Housing Opportunity

When you have found a unit you would like to rent, the following is required:

  • You have inspected the unit and it meets your approval (refer to booklet “A Good Place to Live”).
  • The landlord is willing to accept the Section 8 program.

Both you and the landlord are now ready to complete the Request for Tenancy Approval.  This form must be completed and signed by you and the landlord.

Once the form is complete, please mail, fax or deliver to

Caribou Housing Agency
25 High Street
Caribou ME  04736

If the Request for Tenancy Approval is complete and meets all requirements, the Housing Agency will schedule a Housing Quality Standards Inspection on the unit.   You will be notified as quickly as possible as to the results of the inspection.   If the unit passes inspection, you and your landlord will sign a lease.

If there are problems with the Request for Tenancy Approval, if the unit does not pass inspection, or if the rent charged by the landlord is not determined to be reasonable, you will need to find another unit.   You will be notified as quickly as possible whenever there are problems with your request.

You may pay your share of the first month’s rent as soon as you receive official confirmation that:

  1. the unit has passed inspection and
  2. the Housing Agency has given you permission to move in and
  3. the landlord has signed the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract with the Housing Authority.

If the landlord allows you to move in before all three of the above have been accomplished, please be aware that if the landlord does not sign the HAP contract, you could be responsible for the full amount of the rent.

The Housing Agency will pay its share of the first month’s rent after execution of the contract with the landlord and on the first of the month thereafter.