The Most Northeastern City in the United States.

Obligations of the Family

Caribou Municipal Building
25 High St
Caribou, Maine 04736
Lisa Plourde, Executive Director
Sue Ouellette, FSS/Homeownership
Phone: (207) 493-4234
Fax: (207) 376-0178


About Us

General Information

Applicant Information

New Voucher Holder Information

Voucher Briefing

Obligations of the Family

Voucher Term & Suspensions

How to Lease a Unit

Ways to Locate a Unit

Things to Consider When Choosing a Unit 

Renting from a Relative

Subsidy Standards

Security Deposit Information

Providing Tenant Information to Landlords

How to Submit Your Request for Tenancy Approval

Rent Reasonableness

40% Affordability Process

Housing Inspections

HAP Contract & Lease


Hearings & Appeals

Participant Information

Landlord Information
Program Forms

Reasonable Accommodation

Report Fraud

Questions & Answers

Community Resources



 Follow the Caribou Housing Agency on Facebook


Equal Housing Opportunity

Please be aware that if you fail to comply with any of the obligations outlined below, your housing assistance may be terminated, and / or you may be responsible for paying back any overpayment of subsidy caused by the unreported information or violation.

Obligations of the Family

A.   When the family’s unit is approved and the HAP contract is executed, the family must follow the rules listed below in order to continue participating in the housing choice voucher program.

B.  The family must:

  1. Supply any information that the Housing Authority or the department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) determines to be necessary including evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status, and information for use in a regularly scheduled reexamination or interim reexamination of family income and composition.
  2. Disclose and verify social security numbers and sign and submit consent forms for obtaining information.
  3. Supply any information requested by the Housing Authority to verify that the family is living in the unit or information related to family absence from the unit.
  4. Promptly notify the Housing Authority in writing when the family is away from the unit for an extended period of time in accordance with Housing Authority policies.
  5. Allow the Housing Authority to inspect the unit at reasonable times and after reasonable notice.
  6. Notify the Housing Authority and the landlord in writing before moving out of the unit or terminating the lease.
  7. Use the assisted unit for residence by the family.  The unit must be the family’s only residence.
  8. Promptly notify the Housing Authority in writing of the birth, adoption, or court awarded custody of a child.
  9. Request Housing Authority written approval to add any other family member as an occupant of the unit.
  10. Promptly notify the Housing Authority in writing if any family member no longer lives in the unit.
  11. Give the Housing Authority a copy of any landlord eviction notice.
  12. Pay utility bills and provide and maintain any appliances that the landlord is not required to provide under the lease.

C.  Any information the family supplies must be true and complete.

D. The family (including each family member) must not:

  1. Own or have any interest in the unit (other than in a cooperative, or the landlord of a manufactured home leasing a manufactured home space).
  2. Commit any serious or repeated violation of the lease.
  3. Commit fraud, bribery or any other corrupt or criminal act in connection with the program.
  4. Engage in drug related criminal activity or violent criminal activity or other criminal activity that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of other residents and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises.
  5. Sublease or let the unit or assign the lease or transfer the unit.
  6. Receive housing choice voucher program housing assistance while receiving another housing subsidy, for the same unit or a different unit under any other Federal, State or local housing assistance program.
  7. Damage the unit or premises (other than damage from ordinary wear and tear) or permit any guest to damage the unit or premises.
  8. Receive housing choice voucher program housing assistance while residing in a unit owned by a parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister or brother of any member of the family, unless the Housing Authority has determined (and has notified the landlord and the family of such determination) that approving rental of the unit, notwithstanding such relationship, would provide reasonable accommodation for a family member who is a person with disabilities.
  9. Engage in abuse of alcohol in a way that threatens the health, safety or right to peaceful enjoyment of the other residents and persons residing in the immediate vicinity of the premises.