The Most Northeastern City in the United States.


Caribou Municipal Building
25 High St
Caribou, Maine 04736
Lisa Plourde, Executive Director
Sue Ouellette, FSS/Homeownership
Phone: (207) 493-4234
Fax: (207) 376-0178


About Us

General Information

Applicant Information

Participant Information

Reporting Changes

Annual Re-examinations

Interim Re-examinations

Rent Changes

Housing Inspections


Terminating a Lease


Most Common Program Violations


Elective Programs

Family Self-Sufficiency

HCV Homeownersehip Program

Landlord Information

Housing Inspections

Program Forms

Reasonable Accommodation

Report Fraud

Questions & Answers

Community Resources


 Follow the Caribou Housing Agency on Facebook


Equal Housing Opportunity

After your initial lease term expires (12 months), you may be able to move to a new unit with your housing assistance – that is, you may be able to take your Section 8 HCV with you.  If you wish to move out of the Housing Agency’s jurisdiction (i.e. outside of Caribou), it is called Portability.

If you move out of your unit without notifying the Housing Agency and your landlord, your voucher may be terminated.

You must be at the end of your lease term (check your lease for the end date).

If your landlord gives you a notice to move, you must notify the Housing Agency immediately and give a copy of the notice to the Housing Agency.

When you move, your voucher size will be determined according to your household size and current Housing Agency subsidy standards that govern the number of bedrooms allowed.  Subsidy standards may have changed an you may be issued a different voucher size when you move.

Once the Housing Agency approves your move, you will be given a Landlord Packet.  The packet will contain a Request for Tenancy Approval that you will need to give the new landlords.  Please go to the New Voucher Holder Information for information on finding a new rental unit and submitting the Request for Tenancy Approval.

Once you have moved out of your unit with Housing Agency approval, you will only have 60 calendar days to find another suitable rental unit.

Once a new rental unit is inspected and approved by the Housing Agency and you have moved, you must promptly return the keys to your old unit to the landlord and get a receipt.  In case of a dispute regarding your vacate date, you may need a receipt indicating the date you returned the keys.  The Housing Agency will not pay rental subsidy on two units, therefore you should take the shortest time possible to move out of one unit and into the other once approval is given.

For more information, see our Moving Information Form and Moving Q & A.