The Most Northeastern City in the United States.


Caribou Municipal Building
25 High St
Caribou, Maine 04736
Lisa Plourde, Executive Director
Sue Ouellette, FSS/Homeownership
Phone: (207) 493-4234
Fax: (207) 376-0178


About Us

General Information

Applicant Information

New Voucher Holder Information

Participant Information

Reporting Changes

Annual Re-examinations

Interim Re-examinations

Rent Changes

Housing Inspections


Terminating  Lease


Most Common Program Violations


Elective Programs

Landlord Information

Program Forms

Reasonable Accommodation

Report Fraud

Questions & Answers

Community Resources


Follow the Caribou Housing Agency on Facebook


Equal Housing Opportunity

The Housing Choice Voucher program is designed to allow families to move without the loss of housing assistance.   The housing voucher is portable and allows a family to take it with them whether they move inside or outside of Caribou Housing Agency’s jurisdiction.

Procedures for porting to Caribou Housing Agency’s Jurisdiction

If you have an active voucher from another Housing Authority and you are interested in moving into the Caribou area, please read the following information:

  1.   Notify your Housing Authority to let them know you want to move to the City of Caribou, Maine.  Your Housing Authority must mail the Portable Packet to:
  2. Caribou Housing Agency
    25 High Street
    Caribou Housing Agency
  3. Portable packets will not be accepted if hand carried by Participant.  It may take two (2)  to three (3) weeks to receive your paperwork in the office.  You may contact the office at (207) 493-4234 to see if your information has been received.
  4. You will be given an appointment for an interview when it has been confirmed that your portable packet has been received.
    • You must bring the following items for your interview:
      • All adults who are 19 and over and who will be listed in the family composition must come to the interview
      • Original Birth Certificates for everyone in the household
      • Social Security Cards for everyone in the household
      • Divorce Decree, Court Award Custody, and or Marriage License
      • Proof of any and all household income and assets
      • Bank Statements for last three (3) months
      • Federal Income Tax Returns for all household members
  5. No briefing appointment will be given if documents required by this PHA or HUD are missing.
  6. The porting family will receive an appointment to attend a interview to sign all required forms, be issued a Housing Choice Voucher, and given a Request for Tenancy Approval; if all required documents are presented.
  7. An inspection will be scheduled within 10 business days after Request for Tenancy is approved.

Procedures for Porting Out of Caribou Housing Agency – to another Public Housing Authority

If you resided in Caribou, or is jurisdiction, at the time of application submission, your assistance is immediately portable.  Portable means your assistance can be transferred to another Public Housing Authority that accepts the Housing Choice Voucher.

Please keep in mind the following:

  • You are eligible for portability, if you have not committed a lease violation and do not have an outstanding debt with the Caribou Housing Agency.
  • You must submit a written request to transfer your assistance in writing before the expiration of your voucher.
  • Once, you are determined eligible for portability, we will mail all of the required information to the receiving Public Housing Authority.
  • You must contact the receiving Public Housing Authority within 10 business days to provide an address and phone number(s) where you can be reached to schedule your initial appointment.
  • You must provide all original documents to the receiving Public Housing Authority, which include but are not limited to Social Security Cards, Picture Identification, Birth Certificates, income, bank statements, and assets for all household members including yourself.
  • Once your paperwork is forwarded to the receiving Public Housing Authority, you must contact them with any questions or concerns you have in regards to your assistance.

Please keep in mind your voucher expire 60 calendar days from the date of issuance, even if you are requesting portability.  Do not loose your assistance because of an expired voucher.