The Most Northeastern City in the United States.

Getting a Voucher Q&A

Caribou Municipal Building
25 High St
Caribou, Maine 04736
Lisa Plourde, Executive Director
Sue Ouellette, FSS/Homeownership
Phone: (207) 493-4234
Fax: (207) 376-0178


About Us

General Information

Applicant Information

New Voucher Holder Information

Participant Information
Landlord Information

Program Forms

Reasonable Accommodation

Report Fraud

Community Resources

Questions & Answers

Housing Agency Program Q&A

HCV Homeownership Q&A

How Annual Income is Determined Q&A

Information for Landlords

Housing Agency Program Q&A

New Landlord Q&A

Inspection Q&A

Refresher for Landlords in the HCV Program Q&A

Applying for Assistance

Waiting List Q&A

Getting a Voucher Q&A

Program Eligibility Q&A

Citizenship Q&A

Moves and Changes within the HCV Program

Housing Search Q&A

Inspection Q&A

Portability Q&A

Moving/Transfer Q&A

More Information about The HCV Program

Special Needs Q&A

Annual Re-examination  Q&A

Income Verification  Deductions Q&A

Program Integrity Q&A

Family Self-Sufficiency Q&A

HCV Homeownership Q&A

Hearings & Appeals Q&A
How Annual Income is Determined

News & Events   

The Caribou Housing Agency has moved!  We are now located on the first floor of the Caribou Municipal Building.

Equal Housing Opportunity

Tips for Getting Assistance Quickly:

Update your address! If you have moved, send us a change of address form.

We will ask for Social Security cards, birth certificates, and photo IDs. If you don’t have these, gather them now.

Respond to all Housing Agency mail by the due date.

What Is an Initial Application?

When you reach the top of the list, you’ll get a letter inviting you to an Eligiblity Briefing.  Respond to this letter immediately or you will be dropped from the list.  This application is used to:

• Gather information about your family and your income

• Determine whether or not your family is eligible for assistance.

• Calculate approximately how much rent your family will pay

• Determine how many bedrooms your family is eligible for.

• When you get your Initial Application, please fill it out completely and return it by the deadline.

What Happens at the Eligibility Briefing?

During the Eligibility Briefing we will  gather the information we need to complete your application. All adult family members are required to attend.

Can You Help Me Fill Out My Initial Application?

If you have questions about your Initial Application, please call our office. You can also make an appointment to have Housing Agency staff assist you in person.

Please see our Special Needs Q&A for more information on extra assistance for a person with disabilities.

When Will I Get a Voucher?

Here is what will happen after the Eligibility Briefing:

• If you are eligible, you will be placed in the Waiting Pool along with other families waiting for a voucher.

• We may ask you to send updated information about your income, because the federal government requires us to ask for it again. Please respond to those requests promptly.

• You could still have a long wait before a voucher is available. When a voucher is available, we will invite you to a Voucher Issuance Briefing, where you will get your voucher and more information.

What Happens at the Voucher Issuance Briefing?

When the Housing Agency has a voucher for you, you will be invited to attend a Briefing, along with other families who are getting their vouchers.  You must attend a Briefing to get your voucher.

At the Briefing, you will get your voucher and a packet of information  to help you find a place to rent.  You will have 60 days to find a home to rent.  However, if funding runs short, a voucher can be “frozen” at any time after it has been issued to you.  To avoid this, you should find a place to rent as soon as possible.

How Many Bedrooms Will My Family Be Eligible For?

The Housing Agency calculates roughly two people to a bedroom in deciding how much assistance your family will receive.  More details will be provided at the Briefing.

How Much Will We Pay in Rent?

Families pay about 30-40% of their income in rent.  You will find out more about your rent calculation at the Briefing.

Where Will I Be Able to Rent a Home?

You may be able to use your voucher assistance to rent the place where you live right now, if the unit meets our standards and the landlord is willing to participate.

You cannot rent a home owned by a relative, except in very limited circumstances for persons with disabilities. See Special Needs Q&A.

You must rent a home within the Housing Agency’s jurisdiction (county or city.) There are some exceptions that may allow to rent a home in other parts of the country. This will be explained at the Briefing.

We encourage you to find a home in a good neighborhood outside areas of poverty.

Should I Move Now?

Please do not move to a new home just because you think you are about to get housing assistance.  It may be many months before you are issued a voucher.  Also, program requirements can change quickly.  You will not know exactly what you are eligible for until you are issued a voucher.