The Most Northeastern City in the United States.

Program Eligibility Q&A

Caribou Municipal Building
25 High St
Caribou, Maine 04736
Lisa Plourde, Executive Director
Sue Ouellette, FSS/Homeownership
Phone: (207) 493-4234
Fax: (207) 376-0178


About Us

General Information

Applicant Information

New Voucher Holder Information

Participant Information
Landlord Information

Program Forms

Reasonable Accommodation

Report Fraud

Community Resources

Questions & Answers

Housing Agency Program Q&A

HCV Homeownership Q&A

How Annual Income is Determined Q&A

Information for Landlords

Housing Agency Program Q&A

New Landlord Q&A

Inspection Q&A

Refresher for Landlords in the HCV Program Q&A

Applying for Assistance

Waiting List Q&A

Getting a Voucher Q&A

Program Eligibility Q&A

Citizenship Q&A

Moves and Changes within the HCV Program

Housing Search Q&A

Inspection Q&A

Portability Q&A

Moving/Transfer Q&A

More Information about The HCV Program

Special Needs Q&A

Annual Re-examination  Q&A

Income Verification  Deductions Q&A

Program Integrity Q&A

Family Self-Sufficiency Q&A

HCV Homeownership Q&A

Hearings & Appeals Q&A
How Annual Income is Determined

News & Events   

The Caribou Housing Agency has moved!  We are now located on the first floor of the Caribou Municipal Building.

Equal Housing Opportunity

Each program has its own set of eligibility rules, and those rules can change from time to time.

The information in this Q&A applies to the Housing Choice Voucher Program.

How Do You Determine My Income?

The first step to becoming eligible is for the Housing Authority to determine how much your family’s annual income is.

  •  We will ask you to complete forms stating all of your income and assets.
  •  We will ask you to provide documents like tax returns, pay stubs, bank statements and more
  •  We may verify your income directly with your employer and/or the agency that provides you benefits.
  •  We will also check with federal and state agencies that gather information about earnings from many different sources to confirm the information you have provided.

If we discover that your family has not reported some income to us, you could be denied assistance or face fraud charges. It is very important to declare all income to the Housing Agency

What are the Income Limits?

The Housing Choice Voucher program and the public housing program require that we assist a certain number of extremely low income families. These are families whose income is below 30% of the county median income.

We can also assist families who are “very low income,” which means that their income is below 50% of median income. Some families with incomes up to 80% of median, called low income, may also be assisted.

The income limits are based on the number of people in your family and change at least once a year. You can get the current income limits here.

Is Anyone Eligible for a Special Preference?

The Caribou Housing Agency determines applicant eligibility and issues vouchers on a first come, first served basis, based on the date that an applicant added their name to the waiting list.

Is There a Background Check?

Yes, In the Voucher program, housing is denied for registered sex offenders and certain other violent, drug-related and other criminal offenses.

How Many Bedrooms Will My Family Be Eligible For?

The Housing Agency calculates one bedroom for the head of household and spouse or domestic partner, if any.  We then calculate one bedroom for every two family members, regardless of age or sex.

In the Housing Choice Voucher Program, your family may choose to rent a home with more bedrooms, but we would re-calculate your rent so that you pay the extra cost of the additional bedrooms. A few exceptions are made for persons with disabilities.  For more information, see our Special Needs Q&A .

Who Counts as a Family Member?

When you submit your full application, we will ask you to list everyone who will live in your home when you get assistance.

Are there citizenship requirements?

Many Housing Agency programs require that at least one adult in the family be a citizen or a legal resident. If some members of your family are not citizens or legal residents, you may receive less rental assistance than you would otherwise