The Most Northeastern City in the United States.

Code Enforcement

Caribou Municipal Building
25 High Street
Caribou, Maine 04736
Phone: (207)493-3324 Option 3
Fax: (207)498-3954


City Code


The State of Maine requires all cities of populations over 4,000 to enforce the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code (MUBEC) as well.




Effective January 1, 2013

Building Permits will need at least three (3) business days to review.

Any and all inspections will need to be scheduled at least two (2) business days in advance.

If you have any questions please call (207) 493-3324 Option 3. Appointments are highly recommended.

Code Enforcement

The mission of the Code Enforcement Office is to ensure positive development in Caribou. Our Zoning and Building Codes direct development to provide a community that welcomes both commercial and residential growth. Caribou has established Zoning Districts ready for development of residential, commercial and industrial use. Our Building Codes help to keep insurance costs low while providing safety against the spread of fire or unsafe construction. The Code Enforcement Office performs plan review, issues permits and performs all inspections for land development and construction within the City of Caribou, Maine. The Code Enforcement Office reviews all Zoning & Land Use Applications for compliance with the Comprehensive Plan, Land Use & Zoning Ordinance and Shoreland Zoning if applicable. All building construction requires permits prior to the start of construction. The Code Official issues building permits only after the applicant has provided sufficiently detailed plans to insure the project will be in compliance with the Maine Uniform Building and Energy Code. All commercial, institutional and industrial construction, require a complete set of structural plans signed and sealed by a professional engineer or architect. The following activities require permits and inspections to construct, alter, repair, replace, any structure including decks, steps, additions, garages, barns, storage buildings or tool sheds. Storage buildings or tool sheds less than 200 square feet in size do not require a permit. Electrical, Heating and Plumbing Permits are required in Caribou prior to the start of equipment installation. All Heating and Plumbing Systems must be inspected prior to being placed in service. Land Use, Building Codes, Property Maintenance Code and Health Code violations are enforced by the Code Enforcement Office. Permit applications are available at the Caribou City Hall, Code Enforcement Office.

Please note that the City of Caribou does not issue electrical permits. That is handled by the State of Maine. You can apply online here.

For questions on Land Use, Shore Land Zoning, Building Permits and Plumbing Permits Permits contact the Assessing and Code Enforcement Department 207-493-3324 x3 or Penny Thompson at