April 07, 2014
The City of Caribou is requesting sealed bid proposals for “Library Steps Replacement” which includes replacing and matching the existing concrete library steps on the south side of the building.
The bid should include pricing for the following work:
General: The Contractor shall remove the concrete steps and a portion of the sidewalls to expose sound concrete. Though it is not our intention to have the top landing of the steps replaced, this landing needs to be repaired, especially the large crack located across the center, as well as the southerly edge; all existing and new/proposed exterior concrete shall be sealed. The concrete debris shall be disposed of properly.
The existing metal handrails shall be salvaged and reused as part of this project. The existing metal treads shall be removed and become the property of the Contractor and/or disposed of properly; if repairs dictate, reuse of the metal treads at the south edge of the top landing shall be discussed with the Library Director. The existing hose bib, associated water line, and the remote water meter reader at the west sidewall shall remain and be protected. All other existing sidewall penetrations shall be permanently removed and penetration areas plugged or included within new concrete sidewalls.
As the library steps are contiguous with the library basement walls, the interior of the library basement shall be protected by the Contractor from weather and animals/people during construction. All items within the library basement, under the existing steps, shall be temporarily moved to other areas of the library basement by library staff. The Contractor shall protect all interior piping and water meter during construction.
1. The work shall include furnishing all labor, materials, equipment and incidentals required for all cast-in-place concrete including reinforcing steel, forms, water stops, and miscellaneous related items, such as sleeves, anchor bolts, inserts and embedded items specified.
2. Concrete shall be provided by a reputable contractor.
3. Concrete work and ingredient proportions shall conform to all requirements of ACI 301.
4. Concrete shall be 4,000 psi. All concrete shall be air entrained 6% +/- 1%.
5. A copy of the concrete delivery slip shall be given to the Library Director.
6. Reinforcing Steel: ASTM A615 Grade 60; Stirrups and ties Grade 40.
a. Minimum #4 rebar at 12 inches on center each way each face;
b. Minimum #4 rebar dowels, 24 inches long, shall be drilled and mortared into existing sound concrete at 24 inches on center (12 inches deep).
c. Steel nosing (minimum 1 inch x 1 inch) shall be cast into each tread
a. Vertical and horizontal exposed surfaces of concrete step sidewalls as well as vertical surface of the steps shall be given a grout cleaned finish.
b. The tread surface of the steps shall be broom finished perpendicular to the direction of traffic.
1. Each tread shall be pitched ¼ inch per foot (approx. 2%) to drain
2. Existing railings shall be reused.
3. Bonding agent shall be utilized where new concrete meets existing.
4. Appropriate caulking/joint sealant shall be used to seal all joints, especially where new concrete meets existing.
5. Sealant for new and existing exterior concrete surfaces shall be Prosco Salt Guard or equivalent.
6. Lawn areas disturbed for formwork or due to construction measures shall be repaired by installing new loam, seed, and mulch.
7. The project shall be completed by June 13, 2014.
8. The Contractor shall provide a 1 year warranty for all work and products used for this project.
The Contractor shall supply a minimum of three (3) references with his bid.
All sealed bid proposals shall be submitted to the Caribou City Office with “LIBRARY STEPS REPLACEMENT” marked clearly on the front of the envelope. Please mail or deliver to Austin Bleess, City Manager, 25 High St, Caribou, ME 04736 no later than 2 PM, on Wednesday, April 23, 2014 at which time they will be opened and read aloud.
The Caribou City Council will review and award the bid at their meeting on April 28, 2013. The City of Caribou reserves the right to accept or reject any and all bid proposals which are in the best interest of the City.
The Contractor shall provide a certificate of insurance upon Notice of Award.
If you have any questions regarding the bid, please contact our offices at 493-3324 ext. 230.
Library Steps Replacement Bid Package