The City of Caribou, Maine is a full service center community with a resident population of 7,396 and direct service population of over 16,000. Full level of services includes:
- 24/7 Fulltime Fire for 4 communities and Ambulance services for 8 communities both Ground Transport and Air Ambulance Services
- 24/7 Police Department
- Fulltime Emergency Management Operations with County Emergency Operation Centers
- Public Works Department
- Utilities District for Water and Sewer – with exceptional additional capacities
- Parks and Recreation Departments with new Wellness Center to be expanded
- Public Library System with collections, inter-library exchanges, audio books, collections and audio book services online
- Nylander Museum – Natural History and Native American Collections
- Historical Society open by appointment.
- Service Clubs of Rotary, Kiwanis, others
- Business Assistance Programs for Community and Economic Development
- Department of Code Enforcement, Zoning, and Inspections to ensure the preservation of property values and rights, international building standards, and life safety
- All major transportation corridors pass through Caribou forming a transportation hub
- 2012 marked the completion of the North/South Truck By Pass in Caribou
- High Achieving K-12 school system, new K-8 Caribou Community School opened in 2020.
- Partnerships with the Aroostook Partnership, Northern Maine Development Commission, Northern Maine Community College, and University of Maine in Presque Isle
- Businesses supported by the Central Aroostook Chamber of Commerce
THE all season community to work, play, grow in and call home.
The City of Caribou, where residents, service organizations, businesses, schools and local government are actively committed to:
- Welcoming, encouraging and promoting the continued development of commerce and industry
- Supporting, enhancing and expanding Caribou’s strong foundation of all-season recreational opportunities
- Promoting a community where you can grow your family, your business and yourself
- Providing a safe, healthy, welcoming atmosphere for individuals and families to live