Marriage Licenses



Residents of the state intending to be joined in marriage are required to record notice of their intentions in person (both parties must be present) in the office of the clerk of the municipality in which at least one of them resides.  The parties must file the Intentions of Marriage Form  In keeping with ongoing efforts to improve customer service, and to expedite the implementation of a new data entry process, the Intentions forms may be printed and completed prior to filing them with the City Clerk.  The applicants’ signatures must be acknowledged before an official; such as, a notary public or signed in the presence of the City Clerk.  Out-of-state residents may file their Intentions in any municipal office.

Fillable Intentions of Marriage Form


This license is valid in any community in Maine for a period of 90 days from the date of Intentions are filed.


If either party has been previously married, a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate must be presented to the Clerk.


  • Each applicant must show proof of identity by providing a driver’s license, state I.D., or passport.
  • An individual who has reached the age of 18 may marry without parental consent.
  • Persons authorized to solemnize marriages in Maine include (if a resident of this state): a justice or judge; a lawyer admitted to the Maine Bar; or a notary public.  The following may perform the ceremony whether a resident or nonresident of the state of Maine and whether or not a citizen of the United States:  an ordained minister of the gospel; a cleric engaged in the service of the religious body to which the cleric belongs; or a person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body.