The Most Northeastern City in the United States.

Vital Records


Caribou Municipal Building
25 High St
Caribou, Maine 04736
Jayne R. Farrin
City Clerk
Phone: (207)493-3324 x221

Clerk’s Office Staff

Kalen Hill, Deputy City Clerk                                                  Constance Michaud, Motor Vehicle Agent
493-3324 Ext. 204                                                                                                              493-3324 Ext. 207                                                                       


  • Vital records on file in the Caribou City office include those from 1892 to present day.
  • Certified copies of vital records are $15.00 each and $6.00 for additional copies of the same record.
  • Copies of birth records can be obtained from the community where the parents reside at the time of the birth or the place where the birth occurred. The form is available by clicking Application for a Certified Copy of a Birth Record
  • Copies of death records are available at the place of death or where the deceased lived. The form is available by clicking Application for a Certified Copy of a Death Record
  • Copies of marriage records can be obtained from the community that issued the license. The form is available by clicking Application for a Certified Copy of a Marriage Record
  • For a copy of the Authorization to release a vital record please click Here.

FEES  – Checks are to be made out to the “City of Caribou”

BIRTH RECORDS                                      1st Copy – $15.00 – Add’l Copy – $6.00

MARRIAGE RECORDS                            1st Copy – $15.00 – Add’l Copy – $6.00


DEATH RECORDS                                     1st Copy – $15.00 – Add’l Copy – $6.00

DISPOSITION PERMITS                        $20.00



  • An individual who has reached the age of 18 may marry without parental consent.
  • Each applicant must show proof of identity by providing a driver’s license, state I.D., or passport. If there have been previous marriages for either applicant then a certified copy of death or divorce of the most recent marriages must be presented.
  • The first step in filing a marriage license is to have the marriage intentions recorded in writing, signed by both parties, and filed at the municipal office in which at least one of them resides. If the applicants are not residents of Maine, they may apply in any Town or City in Maine.
  • After the above requirements have been met, the marriage license may be issued but must be used within 90 days from the date the intentions were filed.
  • Persons authorized to solemnize marriages in Maine include (if a resident of this state): a justice or judge; a lawyer admitted to the Maine Bar; or a notary public. The following may perform the ceremony whether a resident or nonresident of the state of Maine and whether or not a citizen of the United States: an ordained minister of the gospel; a cleric engaged in the service of the religious body to which the clerk belongs; or a person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body.