The Most Northeastern City in the United States.

General Assistance

Caribou Municipal Building
25 High Street
Caribou, Maine 04736
Jayne R. Farrin
General Assistance Administrator
Phone: (207)493-3324 x221
E-mail: jfarrin 

Caribou City Council

Notice of Public Hearing


The Caribou City Council will hold a Public Hearing on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 6:00 pm in City Council Chambers, 25 High Street to consider:

Ordinance No. 6, 2018 Series An Ordinance Amending Chapter 17 General Assistance

Interested individuals are encouraged to attend.  Copies of the proposed Ordinance are available in the City Clerk’s Office located within City Hall at 25 High Street and below.     Jayne R. Farrin, City Clerk

Ordinance No. 6, 2018 Series – An Ordinance Amending General Assistance Guidelines



General Assistance’s Office


November 6, 2018



General Assistance Office Announces

Starting May 1, 2018

The Number of Weekly Job Searches will be Five


Pathfinder 2016 – A Resource Guide for All Generations

can be found by using the following link:

General Assistance is a program administered by a municipality for the immediate aid of persons who are unable to provide the basic necessities essential to maintain themselves or their families. The program is a division of the Department of Health and Human Services and is mandated by State Statutes and Municipal Ordinances, which are on file at the General Assistance Office. Maximum levels of assistance are established for determination of eligibility.

The City of Caribou maintains a municipal workfare program where eligible persons whom are unemployed and able to work are required to work for the municipality to repay any assistance they may receive.

The General Assistance office is available to take applications, Tuesday and Thursday, by appointment only.  Appointments can be made by calling (207)493-3324 Ext. 221. Appointments will be rescheduled if you arrive more than ten minutes late.   If an emergency exists after hours, please contact the Caribou Police Department at (207)493-3301 and leave your name and phone number where you can be reached and a representative will call you.

Jayne R. Farrin
General Assistance Administrator

Frequently Asked Questions:  Frequently Asked Questions